Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hallelujah! Mac 'N Cheese is Back on the Menu!!! And a Heavenly Swedish Dessert

The Recipe: Macaroni and Cheese

  • from http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com/macaroni-and-cheese.html
  • This recipe makes one serving. I used an entire 8 oz.  box of gluten-free pasta and an 8 oz. bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, which made 4 servings.
  • goes well with cooked frozen mixed vegetables
  • COLLEGE CUISINE ALERT = fast, few ingredients, only two saucepans


Ingredients for gluten free macaroni and cheese

  • 2-3oz gluten free pasta shapes or macaroni
  • 3oz grated cheddar cheese
  • 7 fl oz (1 cup) milk or milk substitute
  • 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
  • 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)

Method

Bring a pan of water to the boil, then tip in the gluten free pasta. Check the packet for cooking times but generally it will take about 8-10 minutes. *The box I used said 4-6 minutes but it really took 8-10 minutes, as this recipe says.
Meanwhile pop the grated cheese, cornflour and paprika into a ziplock plastic bag or flour shaker and shake it to coat the cheese.
Pour the milk into a separate saucepan and warm gently, do not bring to the boil!
Once the milk is warmed and just beginning to make bubbles around the edge of the pan, take it off the heat and pour in the cheese mixture. Stir thoroughly and then return to the heat. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens, it won't take long. Remove from the heat while you strain the pasta.


The Miraculous Mirage


To make this yummy Swedish dessert, spoon refrigerated cloudberry jam onto vanilla bean  ice cream and gasp at the amazing sweet- and tangyness! You can get cloudberry jam at IKEA, but I don't know about other stores.

My Take on the Bake:
Within the first 5 seconds of me finding out I wouldn't be able to eat wheat for the rest of my life, I thought, "As long as I can eat ice cream, I'll survive." I should've thought, "As long as I can eat ice cream AND MAC 'N CHEESE, I'll survive!" With this gluten-free recipe, mac n cheese is back on the menu! Hallelujah! The end product had a little too much sauce, but a slotted spoon will fix this. The sauce was very creamy and cheesy - just right! With this dish, unlike the stroganoff that had many blended flavors, I could actually taste the lack of gluten in the noodles. It wasn't a bad taste, however, just something new. My dad and boyfriend couldn't actually taste the difference. My taste-buds must be better tuned to wheat now that they never get any...I would definitely be able to tell if I had some again. Wonder if I'll eventually forget what it tastes like? Who cares? I can eat gluten-free mac n cheese :)

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you can taste gluten in a recipe now. Have you felt a difference in your health yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, unless my immune system is better (I didn't catch the flu everyone around me had). It'll take a few months at least to feel a difference I think.

    ReplyDelete